Setting up the broadband modem
- To get the modem working the first thing we need to do is adjust the USE
- Create or amend the file
/etc/portage/package.keywords by adding:
- I assume at this point that you have USB and hotplug working.
- Recompile the kernel, ensuring that the following are selected:
Device Drivers -->
Network device support -->
PPP (point-to-point protocol) support
PPP Deflate compression
PPP BSD-Compress compression
PPP over ATM (as module)
USB support -->
USB DSL modem support -->
USB DSL modem support
Speedtouch USB support (as module)
Networking options -->
Asynchronous Transfer Mode (ATM) (EXPERIMENTAL)
Classical IP over ATM (EXPERIMENTAL)
- Now we need some drivers from portage. So do:
- Download the firmware extractor (found
Now go into
/root/ and untar the archive.
- Next we need to get hold of the microcode for the modem. This can be found
on the same website as above, or here as a backup.
- Uncompress and copy the
ZZZL_3.012 file to
./configure ; make ; make install in this directory. The firmware binaries should
have been copied to
- Now edit
/etc/ppp/peers/adsl and put in the following:
- Fill in
/etc/ppp/pap-secrets, and copy this to
- Reboot and surf the web!
- If you have an account with dyndns, you will want to update your IP that is held with them periodically. For this you will need to
- Ensure that you have a cron daemon installed using
- Make a file in
/root/updatedyndns.sh with 711 permissions, containing:
dyndnsupdate -f -i ppp0 -h <dyndns_hostname> -u <dyndns_user>:<dyndns_password>
crontab -e to edit the cron file and add the following:
0 1 */25 * * /root/updatedyndns.sh
This would force an update every 25 days so that your account is kept alive.
- To update your dyndns account everytime ppp restarts (including boot), add the following line
cat /root/updatedyndns.sh | at now + 1 minute
- Make sure
at is emerged and always running by executing
emerge at ; rc-update add atd default.
/var/log/messages, I get something like cannot find microcode!
You must have the wrong version of the microcode or you have specified the
path to the microcode incorrectly. There are many versions of the microcode
out there - do a search and try some other ones. Watch the
file closely, and check out
dmesg. Or just get the silver modem :)